It’s no surprise that we have a love for interior design. The foundation of audwell comes from our belief in the importance of thoughtful design and how it impacts the space we live in every day. In fact, we love good design so much that we wanted to peek inside the homes of other parents that we admire and ask them a few questions. As parents, we are all trying to balance the vision we have for our home and the reality that children bring (hello, mess). We figured there was no better way to receive design inspiration, DIY advice and favorite finds than interviewing others with a love for design.
We love Esther Lee's (aka @thiswildheart) calming and beautiful aesthetic and we live for her home DIYs. With two little ones at home, Miles and Nora, we asked Esther a few questions about how her home style has evolved since becoming a mom.
- In one word, describe your home’s decor before you had kids: Delicate
- In one word, describe your home’s decor AFTER you had kids: Functional
- Do you have a dream investment piece that you’re holding off on buying until your kids are older (and let’s be honest, less likely to ruin): I would love a really large white sectional!
- Is there one item in your house that you know you’ll replace once your kids are older and less messy? THE COUCH!
- Best tip for kid proofing your house (while still making it feel like you live there too): Purchase kid proofing items that are temporary. I realized that screwing in things like baby gates isn't all that practical or helpful. The ones that don't need to be permanent are perfectly fine!
- Favorite DIY project in your home: Nora's nursery - the board and batten wall! It still needs some wallpaper to be finished but I loved doing it so much!
- Favorite spot in your home: Our bedroom because it's a no toy zone
- Favorite sustainable find: Love me some good dried florals - I have kept some from special places/events and they are great decor pieces!
- Favorite inexpensive item in your home: Framed Family photos - they make a house feel like a home!
- Random item in your home that your children are obsessed with: Couch seat cushions - they always end up on the floor!